There are so many things to do & see in Kannur, it is tough to know what to do first! whatsupkannur.com has everything you need to guide your very own journey of discovery. Welcome to Kannur.
HISTORICAL PLACES
St. Angelo Fort Kannur
St. Angelo's Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India and is on the Arabian sea about 3 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler in the Siege of Cannanore (1507).On August 1509 Almeida, refusing to recognize Afonso de Albuquerque's as the new Portuguese governor to supersede himself, arrested him in this fortress after having fought the naval Battle of Diu. Afonso de Albuquerque was released after three months' confinement, and become governor on the arrival of the grand-marshal of Portugal with a large fleet, in October 1509.

Thalassery British Fort

The British East India Company built the fort in 1708 to establish a stronghold on the Malabar Coast. In 1781 Hyder Ali, ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, was unsuccessful in capturing the Fort in his campaign to control Malabar. His successor, Tipu Sultan, was forced to cede Malabar District to the British in 1792, at the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Maratha War.The square fort, with its massive walls, secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors, is an imposing structure. The fort was once the nucleus of Thalassery's development. It is now a historical monument.

Gundert Bungalow

Dr. Hermann Gundert was a German missionary and scholar, who compiled a Malayalam grammar book, Malayalabhaasha Vyakaranam, the first Malayalam-English dictionary (1872), and translated the Bible into Malayalam. He worked primarily at Tellicherry on the Malabar coast, in Kerala, India. Gundert also contributed to the fields of history, geography and astronomy.The archives of information he collected from Tellicherry are kept in the Tuniberg University, Germany and were collected and compiled by the scholar Dr Skaria Zacharia as Thalassery Rekhakal. His home is now known as Gundert Bungalow .

Mahe

Mahé a small town surrounded on all sides by Kerala and is officially a part of Pondicherry. The Kannur District surrounds Mahe on three sides and calicut district from one side. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, Karipur at a distance of 85 km; Kannur Airport under construction is nearing completion at Mattannur at a distance of 40 km. Nearest Railway Station is Mahe where a few local and express trains stop.Formerly a French colony, Mahé now forms a municipality in Mahe district of the Union Territory of Pondicherry

Odathil palli

In the heart of Thalassery stands the 200 year old Odathil Palli and the Garden Mosque. The site of the Odathil Palli used to be a sugarcane garden of the Dutch. Odam means 'garden' in Dutch language. Since it was constructed in Odam the mosque came to be called Odathil Palli, meaning 'mosque in Odam'. The mosque had copper plate roofing and golden dome in the minor and share the scenic features as the ones noted in the Brahmonical tradition.The highlights of Odathil Palli are that it has the typical Kerala architecture and it is in the heart of Tellicherry. The Crown on the roof is made of gold. The mosque is still in use for worship even today.

Folklore (Nadan Kala Academy), Chirakkal

Located in chirakkal, Kannur. The Kerala Folklore Academy aims tounderstand the artistic heritage during their visits to Kerala, The institution was constituted by the Government of Kerala and works under the Cultural Affairs Department, Government of Kerala.The academy functions from traditionally built structure called nalukettu and presently houses a folklore library, a museum and a publication department, besides the administrative departments.

Cricket Stadium, Thalassery

Thalassery Stadium is located near the Thalassery Civil Station, Kerala state, South India.Cricket was played in Thalassery much before it was introduced in Calcutta in 1860. Thalassery Stadium, also known as the Thalassery Municipal Cricket Ground, hosts the Ranji Trophy cricket matches every year. On this ground, the first ball was bowled in the early 19th century, thanks to Colonel Arthur Wellesley, who brought the game to this Malabar town. In 2002, Thalassery cricket ground celebrated its 200th birthday by hosting a one-day cricket match between India and Sri Lanka sides containing former Test players.

Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu

Parassinkkadavu Snake Park is about 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) from Kannur town. he park houses a variety of snakes and other small animals, including the Spectacled Cobra, King Cobra, Russell's viper, Krait and various pit vipers. There is also a large collection of non-venomous snakes including pythons. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, many species of which are gradually becoming extinct. In a live show, trained personnel play and 'interact' with a variety of snakes, including cobras and vipers, and try to quell mythical fears and superstitions about snakes.

Juma Masjid

The Juma Masjid situated near the Maidan in the heart of Thalassery town is one of the most beautiful mosques in kannur district. It is said to be more than a thousand years old and has been rebuilt in the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture.